Sometimes home is where the jewelry is. Sisters Jennifer Gandia and Christina Gandia Gambale have found another downtown location for their family's jewelry store, Greenwich St. Jewelers, to call home. The business, founded by their parents Carl and Milly in 1976 on its namesake street, has relocated to a 1,550 square foot location on Reade Street after spending the last twenty years on Trinity Place.
Located in the second cast-iron building constructed in New York known as Obsidian House and dating to 1857, the airy space draws upon original details to create a fresh, modern environment. Working with Maori Hughes of MAOarch, the original exposed brick walls and an archway are fused with contemporary walls and lighting, resulting in a backlit architectural detail lining the space. The arch design also creates three distinct sections of the store. Behind one newly constructed arch are a try-on table and a door leading to a private Bridal salon appointment room. According to Gandia, despite a healthy digital presence, most engagement rings are sold in person.